NEWS Le Di-Vin Raclette and Wine for Winter

Award-winning Le Di-Vin – Edinburgh’s most sophisticated wine bar have re-launched their traditional French ‘raclette’ evenings, perfect for the autumn/winter months.

Situated beside La P’tite Folie restaurant in the heart of the city, Le Di-Vin wine bar recently featured in The Sunday Times top 25 wine bars in the UK.

Enjoy the traditional French ‘raclette’ evening at Le Di-Vin wine bar – a sociable cheese-centred meal, accompanied by a charcuterie platter, salad, potatoes and raclette cheese. A raclette is the perfect way to spend a leisurely winter evening with friends. We recommend a table of 4 guest’s minimum, the more the merrier:

£20 per guest includes- raclette cheese, salad, cured meat, potatoes

*48 hours notice, 4 guests minimum. To book, please phone the wine bar on 0131 5381815

Le Di-Vin also have some fantastic wines  and now that Winter is truly upon us and the nights are drawing in, it’s the time of year to start drinking full-bodied and rich wines.

Here is their Sommelier, Luke Richardson’s Winter picks :

First up, for his pick for old world white wine, Luke goes with the classy 2012 Chassagne-Montrachet from Chateau de la Maltroye – a soft, buttery texture and hints of nuts, candied lemon peel and a touch of smokiness in the finish – a bit of a treat at £55, but still showing good value too.

For a New World alternative, maybe try the 2016 vintage Sutherland Chardonnay from Elgin, South Africa –  showing great complexity for such a young wine, with fresh citrus flavours, a touch of honey and lots of toasty oak notes in the finish. Highly decorated by Decanter magazine, and a great choice for £33 per bottle.

For his pick of the reds he recommends a full-bodied 2015 Barbera D’Alba from Castello di Verduno in Piedmont, Northern Italy. Whereas some examples are just fruit bombs with fresh acidity, this has been shown a chunk of oak ageing, giving it a bit more oomph. It has aromas of plums, brambles, a hint of red fruit and a touch of liquorice, all showing through on the palate, with a juicy finish and fine grained tannins. Really quite delicious! Castello di Verduno are best known for producing stunning (but expensive!!) Barbaresco and Barolo, but this Barbera D’Alba comes in at £36 per bottle. For a new world alternative, he pick’s a Syrah from Washington State – Chateau Ste Michelle Syrah 2016 to be precise. And precise is a good adjective to use here, very pure Syrah fruit, nice balance between ripeness and acidity, lovely red and black berry fruit, unctuous finish – ripe and heady but not too overblown essentially. –  £32 per bottle.

Lastly, he recommends a delicious style of wine from the Mediterranean coast of Southern France – Banyuls. A Vin Doux Naturel, meaning “Naturally Sweet Wine”, this fortified dessert style wine has a long history having been made since the 13th century. The wine is made from 100% Grenache, with 20% of the harvest being fortified into an eaux de vie, or grape brandy. This is put to the side whilst the other 80% of the harvest is vinified, and when the must gets to around 9.5% abv, they throw in the brandy. This takes the abv up to around 17%, more than enough to kill the yeast – 15.9% abv is the limit for yeast to continue living. This stops the fermentation, and keeps the residual sugars from the grapes in the wine. So, essentially, an alternative to Port, but from just one grape variety, and fortified with its own Grenache spirit. Not quite as viscous as Port, or quite as sticky, but much nicer red fruit flavours – and half the hangover! Being a bit lighter, it matches a selection of cheeses much better than Port, and it is also delicious with dark chocolate desserts like Torte or a fondant. It’s a particularly good example from Michel Chapoutier – his Bila Haut 2016. Sold at £6.00 per 75ml, or £35 per 500ml bottle.

Le Di-Vin, 9 Randolph Place, Edinburgh Tel : 0131 538 1815 www.ledivin.co.uk

 

Please follow and like TartanSpoon:
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

Thank you for reading my blog - follow me to get regular updates and more food & drink info